1.1 At YMCA Brighton, we believe that:
- Children, young people and vulnerable adults should never experience abuse of any kind;
- We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children, young people, and vulnerable adults to keep them safe.
- Some of our staff carry out roles that require them to work with vulnerable adults who may have children. We carry out Disclosure & Barring Service checks for all staff, and have designated people who can deal with safeguarding concerns and disclosures.
- We have robust safeguarding policies to ensure everyone is treated properly, and a grievance and whistleblowing policy so people can raise any concerns they have.
- We have a zero-tolerance approach to breaches of our safeguarding policy and thoroughly investigate all alleged breaches.
2. OUR COMMITMENT
2.1 We are committed to creating a positive and safe environment where people enjoy living, working and volunteering.
2.2 To achieve this, we take proactive steps to ensure:
- We regularly review our safeguarding policies, which aim to improve the knowledge and understanding of staff and volunteers, irrespective of their position, as we believe safeguarding is everyone’s role;
- We make sure all staff know how to escalate safeguarding concerns;
- We provide Safeguarding Training to all staff;
- We follow a Safer Recruitment approach, ensuring all necessary checks are made;
- We have effective complaints and whistleblowing measures in place;
- We provide a safe physical environment for our staff and volunteers, by applying health and safety measures in accordance with the law;
- We endeavour to build a safeguarding culture where staff and volunteers treat each other with respect and are comfortable about sharing concerns; and
- We are continually maintaining the highest standards of safeguarding, we monitor guidance from Government, the Charity Commission and local multi-agency approaches to safeguarding.
3. FURTHER INFORMATION
3.1 To report a concern, please read our full Safeguarding Policy.
Approved by: Chair of the Board YMCA Brighton